From S4 to Breadalbane Academy
In the final S4 year the liaison process for pupils and their parents includes:
- An invitation to parents and their children to meet the SMT at Breadalbane and tour the campus
- Pupils visit Breadalbane Academy to meet the staff and sample the curriculum
- Breadalbane SMT attendance at S4 parents’ evenings Breadalbane Guidance staff interviewing pupils for subject course choice in Pitlochry High School with parents in attendance if requested
- Liaison with Breadalbane Academy SfL team
- On-going links with our Community Link Worker and Skills Development Scotland link who work in both schools
Transition for pupils with Additional Support Needs
For pupils identified as having additional support needs there is an extended transition period set to enable the handover of information and allow for appropriate planning for the individual, their family and the class teacher(s). Timing of meetings will relate to the needs of the individual and might include additional informal visits to the receiving school and individual classes and departments.
Prior to P7/S1 induction Secondary SfP staff will meet with Cluster school teachers to discuss transition and possible support needs and in S4 the transition meeting invitations might include our Social Work Colleagues in Adult Learning, Education Psychologist, employers or college representatives and any other agencies involved with the pupil. Where a pupil requiring additional support transfers from another school mid-session a meeting would be arranged within a very short time scale to allow this to happen as quickly as possible.
In the Secondary department specific information relating to pupils with ASN is made available to all members of staff by the Support for Pupils team before the 2 day induction in June and then again after the summer break. This type of information is updated on an on-going basis.
Useful contact details:
- Miss J McDonald DHT Pitlochry High School
- Mrs K Gatehouse DHT Breadalbane Academy; Tel: 01887 822300 KAGatehouse@pkc.sch.uk
- Mr S Mullan Skills Development Scotland; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Support for Pupils Leaving School
Our Skills Development Scotland Career Coach is introduced to all S4 pupils and throughout the Social Education programme will talk to all of them about Career Management Skills, the SDS website ‘My World of Work’ and how to access other information regarding Post 16 options.
For those pupils considering leaving school at the end of S4 there will be a more intense programme of support including preparation of CV’s, application form completion and how to access funding including possible grants and bursaries.
Where it is known that a child will require additional support for the Post 16 transition the SDS Coach will be involved in the ASN meetings prior to S4 with a view to supporting the family beyond the end of S4. Other stakeholders include our Social Work colleagues in Adult Learning, Education Psychologist, employers or college representatives and any other agencies involved with the pupil.
The destinations of all pupils are monitored through our school ‘16+ meetings’ that includes school staff and our Skills Development Scotland colleague.
How to access further information/useful contact details: