National 4/5 Chemistry course description
The National 4/5 Chemistry course builds on the Level 3 science outcomes that pupils covered in S1/2. The course covers the suitable Level 4 Science Outcomes.
The main aims for the course are for learners to
- Acquire and apply knowledge and understanding of chemistry concepts.
- Develop scientific and analytical thinking skills in a chemistry context.
- Develop applied problem solving skills in a chemistry context.
- Develop an understanding of chemistrys role in scientific issues
- Develop understanding of how chemical products are formed and why they are formed.
- Develop understanding of relevant applications of chemistry in society
Chemical Changes and Structure
This covers Rates of Reaction, Atomic Structure & Bonding related to properties of materials, Formulae and Reaction Quantities and Acids and Bases.
Fossil Fuels & Alternatives, Homologous series, Chemical Reactions and Energy from Fuels.
Chemistry in Society
Metals, Plastics, Ceramic materials, Energy Changes of Chemical Reactions. Agrochemicals, Chemical Analysis and Nuclear Chemistry.
The national 4 course will be internally. Pupils will sit assessments and gather evidence over the course of the 2 years. There is no final exam.
Component 1: Question paper 80 Marks
This will give learners the opportunity to demonstrate the following skills , knowledge and understanding :
- Integrate and apply chemistry knowledge and understanding
- Apply scientific enquiry skills
- Apply scientific analytical thinking skills
- Explain the impact of chemistry on applications on society/the environment
Component 2: Assignment 20 Marks
This question paper will give learners an opportunity to demonstrate the following skills, knowledge and understanding:
- Investigate/research an appropriate chemistry topic / issue
- Process the information gathered, using scientific investigative/research skills.
- Apply knowledge and understanding related to the topic/issue.
- Present a reasoned and well-developed conclusion, supported by evidence.
Total 100 Marks
Successful completion of the National 4 Chemistry course allows progression to National 5 in Biology, Chemistry or Physics.
Successful completion of the National 5 Chemistry course allows progression to Higher.